Panorama above links to a video of my 2010 hike.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fontana Dam looking down at the Little Tennessee River

Leaving the Nantahala Forest, I crossed Fontana Dam and got a backcountry permit to thruhike the Smokies. The visitor center at the Dam had some great info about the TVA and building the largest concrete dam in the east. Completed in 1945 after only three years, it helped Alcoa process aluminum for fighter planes and powered the development of the atomic bomb at Oak Ridge, TN. Amazing what you encounter on the AT!
Not on the same scale, but still an accomplishment, I enter the next major phase of the Trail. Hiking through GSMP will be five days of backcountry camping, major climbs and descents, and a big pack load. Oh, and bears. (I'm not worried about bears but there are several active near the shelters where I'm staying according to current park ranger notices.) I'm looking forward to the new challenges and praying for strength, grace, and sunshine.
On a technical note, the Droid will be on a limited operating schedule so I can keep it alive for five days until I get to Newfound Gap. It may look like I'm not moving, but in reality, I will be in the wilderness moving forward!
Thanks to everyone for all the help and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment